HOME ABOUT REVIEWS POLICY EMAIL TWITTER RSS

28.1.14

Top Ten Tuesday (8): Top Ten Worlds/Lives I'd Hate To Experience


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that allows readers to share their lists and opinions on a number of subjects from their top ten book covers to their top ten villains.

This week's topic for January 28th is:

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want To Live In 
(Alternatively, Top Ten Characters I'd Never Want To Trade Places With)


1. Panem from The Hunger Games
This world is probably going to be on a lot of Top Ten lists this week, and with good reason. Unless I'm a citizen of the Capitol, I would not want to be a part of this world. Do I even really need to explain why?

2. Post-Apocalyptic World from The Maddaddam Trilogy
It's a frightening world indeed when you're one of the last few of your species and you have to fend yourself from giant commercial pigs with implanted human stem cells in them. I honestly don't think I'd even want to try surviving in the haunting world that Snowman must navigate through, especially knowing how it ended up that way.

3. Prentisstown from The Chaos Walking Trilogy
For one, I'm female, so I wouldn't even survive in Prentisstown for a day. Two, even if I did survive, I would not want to be in a place where I'm able to "hear" the thoughts of every man in town. Imagine the headaches.

4. Cania Christy Boarding School from The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant
The book was a DNF for me, but I read enough to know what I would not want to be a student at Cania Christy, a highly competitive boarding school only for the world's wealthiest teens in which every aspect of your life is evaluated and graded as part of a competition to be valedictorian.

5. The Final Empire from The Mistborn Series
While it'd be cool to be an Allomancer, it's not enough to keep me in a world where the air quality is worse than Los Angeles' on a hot summer day because of volcanic ash. I'm also not excited for the lack of a nightlife because the constant mist could possibly kill you. Also, did I mention the world is ruled by a terrible dictator with absolute power for the past thousand years? No thank you.


6. Athena from Antigoddess
Moving on to characters I'd hate to switch places with, I'd hate to be Athena. Imagine if feathers were slowly sprouting from under your skin in the worst places, such as the roof of your mouth or in your lungs. It would not be a fun way to die.

7. The Students of Class 3-B from Battle Royale
The situation is similar to The Hunger Games. A group of young people are forced to kill each other in a annual televised event until there is only one survivor standing. While I felt that Panem in The Hunger Games was a shittier world to live in in general, I would hate to be a student of Class 3-B even more. First of all, you actually know almost every single person you are competing against because you just spent a year of school with them. Second of all, if no one kills in a certain amount of die, it's possible for everyone to die thanks to a metal collar around every participant's neck.

8. Ethan Miller/Drew Bohner from Changers
On the first day of high school, Ethan Miller wakes up as a completely new person. Literally. Like he actually wakes with the body of a blonde (attractive) girl. To put the icing on the cake, his parents only now decides to tell him he is part of a secret race that gives him the power to change into a completely random person for each year of high school. His parents keep on telling him it's so he could make the world a better place, but damn, I would hate to go through high school in his/her shoes.

9. Camille Preaker from Sharp Objects
Camille Preaker is a journalist who is reluctant to go back to her hometown to report on two murders, and her unwillingness to visit her old home and family is completely justified although I'd be spoiling the story for you if I explained why.

10. Amy from the Across The Universe Series
Amy wakes up fifty years too early on the spaceship Godspeed headed to a new planet and only because someone tried to kill her and unplugged her cyro chamber. It's not a good way to start a new life, especially when she's automatically labelled a freak by everyone on the ship and someone is still trying to kill the cryogenically frozen people, including her parents.

10 comments:

  1. I have read none of these books. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! Haha. Seriously though, this is unacceptable.
    Does seeing The Hunger Games movie count? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder whether men would pick different worlds than we women have....

    Here's my list of Book-ish Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In. I hope you'll stop by my happy book-ish world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games is a popular one today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get on that! NOW! Or not, take your time, but most of these books are really good! And I'd say the Hunger Games movie absolutely counts! It's one of those cases where the movies are better than the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if men did choose different worlds. Or if not, they'd certainly have different reasons. For example, I wouldn't want to be in any historical fiction book or books with settings like The Game of Thrones because women are generally treated terribly, but some men might not see it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunger Games is ruling this meme! I can understand why though, since life sucks both inside and outside of the games. I wouldn't last two seconds in that world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same philosophy for Hunger Games as I would for if I were in a horror movie: if I'm in it, I'd rather be the first to die because there's no way I'm making it all the way to the end anyway. D: End my misery now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I thought "What? Who wouldn't want to live in the Mistborn world?" but then you talked about the ash and it all came back to me... XD
    Brandon Sanderson is awesome. I've only read the first Mistborn book, but I'm planning to catch up on the series asap. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, yeah, and it also doesn't help that very few people are Allomancers, so the chances of having cool powers are slim. .___. I really love most of Brandon Sanderson's books. I enjoyed the rest of the Mistborn series, and I recommend The Rithmatist or Steelheart after you finish Mistborn. :D Happy reading~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. And my friend actually read Steelheart and said it was quite good. The Rithmatist is already on my TBR pile along with the other Mistborn books. Hopefully I'll get through that soon. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete